View all facilities

Schifferdecker Park


  1. Basketball courts
  2. Gazebo
  3. Golf course
  4. Grills
  5. Horseshoe pits
  6. Picnic pavilion
  7. Picnic tables
  8. Playground
  9. Rest rooms
  10. Sand volleyball courts
  11. Swimming


The 160 acres where Schifferdecker Park now sits, was deeded to the City of Joplin in 1913, by Charles and Mina Schifferdecker. The Schifferdecker's were of German descent, and came to Joplin in 1875.  Mr. Schifferdecker was a prominent businessman, operating a brewery and ice company; he also was a banker, industrialist, and philanthropist. An Electric Railway line formerly privately owned the Park. It was called Electric Park for many years, and had electric towers, roller coaster, outdoor dance hall, theater, concession building, etc. After Mr. Schifferdecker bought the land, it was called Schifferdecker Electric Park, then in 1913, when he gave it to the city, it became Schifferdecker Park.