William H. and Edith C. Landreth deeded 160 acres, including Mineral Park and Cox’s Grove to the City of Joplin on November 2, 1928. Historic Joplin Creek winds through this Park from about 4th Street toward the northwest under North Main Street, and then northwest to Turkey Creek. Two Historical Trail markers are in this Park: (1) site of the first discovery of lead in Joplin, about 1849, by Cox’s slave boy who had been digging for worms. (2) site of famous discovery shaft sunk by Moffet and Sergeant about 1870. When they struck rich veins of ore, miners began to come from all over the world and shallow mines sprang up all along Joplin Creek Valley. By August 1871, 500 miners had built crude huts along the creek, and the Joplin Mining Camp was on its way.