Structure Fire, 102 E 2nd, Joplin, Mo.
The Joplin Fire Department responded to a structure fire at 102 E 2nd Street. Time of call was 2125 hours Wednesday evening, 02 May. Fire crews arrived on the scene at 2126 hours to find no smoke showing from the building. However smoke was evident on the 5th floor. Crews found a tenant in Apt. #506 who had fallen asleep on a couch with a burning cigarette in hand. The ash tray was smoldering and the tenant suffered burns to the hand.
5 Joplin Fire units and 18 Joplin Fire personnel responded, along with the JPD, and METS. Tenant had some burns to the hand, treated by METS. Crews remained on scene until 2200 hours.
The cause of smoke was an unattended cigarette.