News Flash

City News

Posted on: June 4, 2020

Residents need burn permit before burning yard debris

After cleaning the yard and gathering leaves and other yard debris, many plan to burn the piles. But before you light the match, remember – citizens need to get a Burn Permit for this chore.  Currently, burn permits are available only from the City’s Finance Department in City Hall or the following fire stations: Fire Station 1 at 303 East 3rd Street, Fire Station 2 at 2825 W Junge Boulevard,  Fire Station 4 at 3402 S. Main, and Fire Station 6 at 5302 W. 32nd Street.  (Due to the pandemic, Fire Stations 3 and 5 remained closed to the public.) The permit costs $10 and is good for three consecutive days.

The Finance Department, located on the third floor of City Hall, is open from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. Monday through Friday and accepts cash, check, debit card, money order, or credit card payments.

Permits are available at Fire Stations 1,2,4 and 6 from 8 a.m. to 6 p.m., seven days per week.  Please note there may be times when firefighters are not at the station to issue permits, due to the nature of their job.  Please pay by check or money order if getting your permit at the Fire Station.

No matter where the Permit is obtained, residents must still inquire with the Joplin Fire Department about weather conditions and if burning is allowed on each day. Residents can obtain this information by calling the Joplin Fire Department at 417-623-0403.

The City ordinance allows for burning of residential vegetative waste only in piles no larger than three foot in diameter by two foot high. The burn piles must be located at least fifty feet from any structure and be monitored until extinguished. A fire extinguisher or garden hose shall be present during burning operations.

Facebook Twitter Email

Other News in City News

Map of Cunningham Park  with the walking trail highlighted

Let’s Go For a Walk, Joplin!

Posted on: April 20, 2020