December 24, 2012
MoDOT Winter Weather Travel Advisory:
Christmas Day into Wednesday, Dec. 25-26
Weather Forecast: Snow is predicted to begin falling across the southern half of Missouri starting late morning or early afternoon Christmas Day (Tuesday, Dec. 25). Rain or sleet could precede the snow.
Driving will become difficult as the winter storm covers the region Tuesday afternoon into Wednesday morning.
Possible snow accumulations in Southwest Missouri:
-- 1 to 3 inches between Route 54 and I-44.
-- 3 to 6 inches south of I-44.
-- As much as 9 inches along the Missouri-Arkansas line and in areas of south-central and southeast Missouri.
Snow totals could vary depending on how the storm tracks across the area.
Winds could reach 15 mph to 25 mph which could create visibility problems with blowing snow.
Travel Conditions: Drivers should be prepared for snow-covered roads and limited visibility beginning Tuesday afternoon into early Wednesday.
1. Allow plenty of room to stop your vehicle and DRIVE ACCORDING TO CONDITIONS.
2. If traveling near a snow plow, please stay back at least 100 feet so they can work and to keep salt from hitting your vehicle.
3. If you do need to travel, make sure to leave in plenty of time to reach your destination.
Road Clearing: MoDOT crews will begin arriving in maintenance facilities throughout the Southwest District beginning at noon on Tuesday. Crews are prepared to begin clearing roadways as soon as the storm arrives. Crews will work round-the-clock plowing roadways and spreading salt and other materials to keep the main roads passable until the storm ends.
Crews will focus efforts on the highest traffic volumes routes like I-44, I-49, Route 65, Route 13 and Route 60. They will make it to lesser traveled routes at least once or twice during the storm to plow and to treat hills, curves and intersections.
Driving Tips for Traveling on Conditions:
* Buckle up
* Slow down
* Avoid sudden stops and turns
* Increase following distance
* Make sure vehicle windows and vehicle lights are cleared to ensure visibility
* Keep plenty of fuel in the tank and carry an emergency kit
* Use headlights
* Keep at least 100 feet behind a truck plowing/salting the road
Road Condition Information:
* MoDOT Customer Service: 1.888.275.6636
* MoDOT Traveler Information Map: http://maps.modot.mo.gov/timi/
* Highway Patrol Road Conditions Hotline: 1.800.222.6400