FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
November 22, 2016
SUBJECT: Structure Fire at 1935 E. Laurel
- CONTACT: James Furgerson, Fire Chief, Joplin Fire Department
- The Joplin Fire Department responded to a structure fire at 1935 E. Laurel at 4:44 AM today. The first crew arrived at 4:48 AM to find a single story wood frame structure showing heavy smoke. Fire crews were advised by an occupant, who was able to escape, that an additional occupant was unaccounted for. Fire crews entered the residence and found Nathan Burns, age 33, unconscious and barely breathing. Mr. Burns was removed from the residence and transported to Freeman West Hospital where he succumbed to his injuries. The occupant who was able to escape, Clinton Couthon, age 37, was treated for burns and smoke inhalation and transported to Mercy Hospital.
- Fire crews were able to quickly extinguish the fire and search the residence for any additional occupants. None were found. The fire was brought under control around 5:15 AM and completely extinguished by 5:30 AM.
- There were no injuries to firefighting crews.
- The fire department responded with 9 fire apparatus and 20 personnel.
- The fire department was assisted by the Joplin Police Department and METS Ambulance Service.
- The fire was investigated by the Joplin Fire Marshall with assistance from Missouri Division of Fire Safety Fire Investigators. The cause of fire was ruled undetermined in nature.
For more information, contact the Joplin Fire Department at 623-0403 or 624-0820 ext 1300.