SCHOOL CROSSING GUARD (SEASONAL POSITION)
Under direction, assists school children safely across streets; to report problems requiring possible police action; and to perform related work as required.
GENERAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
THE FOLLOWING DUTIES ARE NORMAL FOR THIS TITLE. THESE ARE NOT TO BE CONSTRUED AS EXCLUSIVE OR ALL-INCLUSIVE. OTHER DUTIES MAY BE REQUIRED AND ASSIGNED.
• Attendance and dependability. Must maintain confidentiality.
GENERAL TASKS AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
WHILE FOLLOWING TASKS ARE NECESSARY FOR THIS POSITION, THEY ARE NOT AN ESSENTIAL PART OF THE DUTIES OF THIS POSITION AND MAY ALSO BE PERFORMED BY OTHER EMPLOYEES.
• Assists children on their way to and from school in safely crossing roadways and intersections.
• Requests school children to wait at curbing for safe crossing and to dismount from bicycles or remove roller skates.
• Halts traffic by hand signal and stop sign, giving due consideration to the distance required to stop and the avoidance of unnecessary traffic congestion.
• Conducts children safely across the street; signals for traffic to resume; reports traffic hazards and flagrant traffic violations to the Police Department.
OTHER TASKS, DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
• The duties and responsibilities listed in this job description shall not to be construed as an exclusive or all inclusive list of the duties associated with this position.
• The supervisor may on occasion assign other duties which are not specifically listed in this job description, provided the employee is qualified and certified/licensed to perform these additional functions.
GENERAL PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS:
LANGUAGE ABILITY AND INTERPERSONAL COMMUNICATION
• Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with school employees, City employees and the general public.
JUDGMENT AND SITUATIONAL REASONING ABILITY
• Knowledge of relevant and appropriate traffic control methods.
• Knowledge of traffic flow patterns of assigned school.
• Knowledge of the department’s policies and procedures relevant to the position of Adult School Crossing Guard.
• Requires medium to high levels of sitting, standing, and walking; requires manual dexterity sufficient to operate essential job related equipment such as portable stop signs.
• Must be sighted, hearing, and mobile to such a degree as not to compromise safety rules or the safety of self and others while working.
• Ability to gain respect and cooperation of children.
• Ability to comprehend and follow oral and written instructions.
• Ability to work scheduled hours, typically involving split shifts, and oftentimes in inclement weather.
• Must possess a valid driver’s license and be able to successfully complete a thorough background check, and successfully complete a physical exam and drug test.
SALARY RANGE: $9.816/ hour
DEADLINE: Resumes will be accepted in addition to, but not in lieu of, a City application. Obtain required application from the City of Joplin Human Resources Office at 602 South Main Street in Joplin, MO. 64801. Open Until Filled. The City of Joplin is an Affirmative Action, ADA and Equal Opportunity Employer.