Home Repairs & Improvements can be Costly
Watch out if:
- If a firm offers to make a "free" inspection or if the person just happened to be in the neighborhood
- Somebody offers to do an expensive job for an unusually low price
Most Popular Frauds
The most popular home improvement frauds are roof repair and painting, driveway sealing, and termite inspection. To avoid home improvement and repair fraud, try the following:
- Always get several estimates for every repair job, and compare prices and terms. Check to see if there is a charge for estimates.
- Ask your friends for recommendations. Alternatively, ask the firm for references - and check them.
- Be suspicious of high-pressure sales tactics.
- Call the loan Consumer Affairs office or the Better Business Bureau to check the company's reputation before you authorize any work.
- Check the identification of all "inspectors."
- Pay by check, and never with cash. Arrange to make the payments in installments.