The Joplin Health Department provides a variety of services that are listed below. For additional information, please contact us at 417-623-6122 or come see us at 321 East 4th Street, Joplin, MO. For the Health Department staff directory, click here.
- Bite Investigations
- Animal Trapping and Pickup
- Spay and Neuter Financial Assistance Program
- Community Health Needs Assessment (CHNA)
- Community Health Improvement Plan (CHIP)
- Inspection and Complaint Intake of Food, Pool, Hotel and Child Care Facilities
- Mosquito & Vector Control
- Commercial Plan Reviews
- Well Water Testing
- Immunizations for Children and Adults
- Communicable Disease Investigation and Prevention
- Pregnancy Testing and Temporary Medicaid
- STI (Sexually Transmitted Infections) Testing and Treatment
In order to protect the health of the community, the health department provides prevention, maintenance and educational services to the citizens and visitors of the area, other social, medical and educational providers, the business community, and the local, state and federal government agencies. Highly professional, responsive services are provided to all customers in a courteous manner with respect to individual dignity.
The department, as a whole, can spot new and reemerging diseases, locate populations of interest or populations at risk through surveillance and outreach, and then deliver quality products and services to meet community needs and expectations.
The Joplin Health Department dates back to 1889. It was initially called the Department of Health and Welfare and organized for the purpose of providing a state approved local milk program. When a new City Hall building was erected in 1908 at 201 Joplin Street, the Health Department was housed in the facility and remained there until August of 1963 when it moved to a new location at 1052 Main Street. In order to meet the needs of the community, other health programs had to be developed and more space required and so, again in January 1970, the Joplin Health Department (JHD) was compelled to relocate to 513 Kentucky Avenue. It remained in this location until June 2006 when it moved to its current location at 321 East 4th Street.