The city attorney, a direct appointment by the City Council
, heads a full-time legal staff that assists the City Council, city staff, and the city’s boards and commissions
. This work includes:
- Drafting and interpreting ordinance
- Providing verbal and written legal opinions
- Reviewing city contracts
- Prosecuting code and traffic violations in Municipal Court
- Attending all governing body meetings and selected board and commission meetings
- Representing the city in litigation involving the city in the Missouri and federal courts
This office is also involved in property acquisitions, including eminent domain proceedings and all legal aspects of development projects.
Risk Management Goals
In addition, the city attorney’s office is involved in the risk management goals of the city in conjunction with the Human Resources / Risk Management Department with respect to claims assessment and resolution.