1 in every 6 Americans contract a food borne illness each year, with symptoms ranging from stomach cramps to death. Our goal is to reduce the transmission of food born illness in Joplin by ensuring safe practices and sanitary conditions in food establishments, educating local food handlers, and empowering citizens to make better choices with regard to food handling.
Food establishments in the City limits of Joplin fall under the jurisdiction of the Joplin Food Code, which can be found at the link below. Food establishments are inspected on a routine basis to ensure compliance with the requirements of the Joplin Food Code.
The Joplin Health Department offers monthly food handler training courses at the Joplin Public Library, West Community Room, 1901 E 20th St, Joplin, MO 64804. The cost is $5.50 per person, pay at the door by cash or check only. Topics covered include employee hygiene, time and temperature control, cross contamination, and cleaning and sanitizing methods. Each student receives the ServSafe Food Handler Guide and Certificate of Achievement after course completion. This course alone may not meet the requirements of the Joplin Health Department priority assessment. Sign up by calling 417-623-6122 during normal business hours.
- Thursday, May 27th, 1:30 to 4pm
- Thursday, June 17th, 9:30am to noon
- Thursday, July 22nd, 1:30 to 4pm
- Thursday, August 19th, 9:30am to noon
- Thursday, September 23rd, 1:30 to 4pm
- Thursday, October 14th, 9:30am to noon
- Thursday, November 18th, 1:30 to 4pm
- Thursday, December 16th, 9:30am to noon @(Model.BulletStyle == CivicPlus.Entities.Modules.Layout.Enums.BulletStyle.Decimal ? "ol" : "ul")>
The Joplin Health Department recognizes Food Protection Manager Training certificates that are issued by ANSI accredited programs, including the following:
- SWMO ServSafe 417-396-4312
- Tom Food Safe @(Model.BulletStyle == CivicPlus.Entities.Modules.Layout.Enums.BulletStyle.Decimal ? "ol" : "ul")>