Make a Splash, Earn Some Cash!
- Earn money
- Learn lifesaving skills
- Keep your community safe and be a role model for kids
- Looks great on a college application: shows teamwork, responsibility, and leadership
- Meet other amazing people
- Perfect for students, flexible summer shifts
Here’s the details about what it takes to become a Lifeguard with us.
Minimum Age: Must be at least 16 years of age by date of hire
Pre-Screening Skills Test: Lifeguard candidates must proficiently demonstrate the following pre-screening skills on the first day of lifeguard training in order to continue.
- Swim 300 yards continuously
- Tread water for 2 minutes without stopping, using only the legs. (cannot use hands)
- Complete a timed event (including swimming, diving, and retrieving a 10 pound object)
Lifeguarding Course: Successfully pass both written and physical tests during training
Successfully pass background check and drug screen
We offer several lifeguard training classes in April, May and June to certify our lifeguards! Joplin Parks & Recreation will pay for each applicant’s lifeguard training. Applicants will be responsible for paying their licensing fee of $42 and half the cost of their guard swimsuit.