Officials with Newton County, City of Joplin, and Missouri Department of Transportation (MoDOT) are pleased to open the new bridge over Shoal Creek to vehicular traffic today. The Jackson Avenue Bridge is 444 feet long and 44 feet wide with an 8-foot shared pathway on both sides of the bridge for pedestrians and bicyclists.
This bridge replaces the low-water bridge in McIndoe Park built in 1919, which Joplin City Council designated as a Joplin Historical Landmark on October 2, 2017.
Project officials noted that the historic low-water bridge will remain open this week. It will be permanently closed to vehicle traffic on Friday, August 23. Signage and bolsters will be placed on the north and south ends, allowing only pedestrians and bicyclists to use the historic structure.
The $2.1 million project, referred to as Jackson Avenue Bridge because it serves traffic from Jackson Avenue, was a collaboration between Newton County Commission, City of Joplin and Allgeier Martin and Associates. Newton County paid 80% of the project using a Bridge Replacement Off-System grant from MoDOT. The City covered the remaining 20% through its Capital Improvement Sales Tax fund, renewed by voters in 2014. Allgeier Martin provided design and construction management for the bridge. The contractor was Hartman and Company, Inc.
Noted as a “soft-opening”, officials will hold a ceremonial open cutting for this project in upcoming weeks.