News Flash

City News

Posted on: June 13, 2018

Citizens serving community by volunteering for City’s Boards and Commissions

Citizens looking for a way to help their community can get involved by serving on various Boards, Commissions and Committees offered through the City.  These groups serve in diverse roles, including assessing needs; review of plans and policies; making recommendations to City departments and providing guidance on projects and programs.

City Council reviews all citizens’ applications for Boards and Commissions to make appointments as positions become open. Recently, at the June 4, 2018 Council meeting, members approved the following new appointments:


Airport Board                             Bob Loudermilk        

Board of Adjustment              Dewayne Patton         

City Tree Board                          Diane Kay Fauss        

Board of Health                         Aaron Rice                 

Joplin Redevelopment Corp.  Andy Perigo               

Joplin Redevelopment Corp.  Bill Scearce   

Joplin Sports Authority           Forrest Reed                

Parks and Recreation               Paul Teverow             

Planning and Zoning                Rodney McCullough  

TIF Commission                    Mike McGavran        



The following were approved for reappointment to serve another term on their Board or Commission:


ADA Accessibility - Vicki Gray

Board of Adjustment -James Pinjuv

Capital Improvements Sales Tax - Josh Bard

Convention & Visitors Bureau - Mike Greninger

Design Review - Lori Haun

Housing Authoring - Edith Triplett

Library - David Layne

Joplin Redevelopment Corp. - David Sweeney

Joplin Sports Authority  - Melissa Rodgers

    Planning & Zoning Commission -  Pete Ramsour

Police & Fire Pension - Mike McGavran

Solid Waste - Andrew Whitehead

Joplin citizens are eligible to submit applications for Boards and Commissions throughout the year.  Citizens must be a qualified voter in the City or the state of Missouri.  Some boards may have specific requirements for its members.  Applications are kept on file for one year. 

Currently, the City Council is seeking applicants to fill the following board openings: 

BOARD OF ADJUSTMENT: A quasi-judicial board that grants variances from the strict letter of the law as written in the Zoning Code, Subdivision Regulations, Historic Preservation Ordinance, Sign Code, Mobile Home Code, and Flood Plain Management Code; decides appeals to the decisions of the chief building official or city planner.

BUILDING BD. OF APPEALS: (Currently there are no applicants on file) Considers variances to the Building Code pertaining to specific construction practices and conducts “finding of fact” hearings as required under the Dangerous Building Ordinance relating to condemnation of dangerous structures.

CONVENTION AND VISITORS BUREAU: (Currently there are no applicants on file to fill the “media position”) Promotes tourism, conventions, and other related activities.

DESIGN REVIEW: (Currently there are no applicants on file)): For evaluation and recommendation for approval of renovation of building facades, certain qualifications required. (architect)

HOUSING AUTHORITY: (There will be one opening in August) Administration of 275 dwelling units owned by the Housing Authority and the provisions of 532 vouchers for rental subsidies to privately owned properties

LIBRARY: Its goals are to appoint a director, control expenditures of library funds, supervise care and custody of library, and determine rules and policies of library.

PARKS & RECREATION: Advisory board for the Parks and Recreation Department, which administers year-round recreational programs and maintains 23 different park and land locations constituting 1,000 acres of public use.

SOLID WASTE COMMISSION: To confer and advise the Council and the Administration on all matters concerning procedures or practices that involve the collection, storage and disposal of solid waste generated within the city limits of Joplin. 

TIF: (Currently there are no applicants on file) To review applications for Tax Increment Financing projects

 A full listing of the boards and commissions is available on the City’s website,  Those interested serving on City Boards and Commissions may apply through the City’s website or by email at For more information, contact City Clerk’s office at 417-624-0820, ext. 220 or 221.

Facebook Twitter Google Plus Email