News Flash Home
The original item was published from 1/29/2018 10:40:19 AM to 3/31/2018 12:00:08 AM.
Posted on: January 29, 2018
[ARCHIVED] Structure Fire, 412 N Wall Ave.
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
January 29, 2018
SUBJECT: Structure Fire at 412 N Wall Ave.
- CONTACT: Jim Furgerson, Fire Chief, Joplin Fire Department
- The Joplin Fire Department responded to a reported structure fire at 412 N Wall Ave. on Sunday, 28 January, at 2:23 PM. The first crew arrived at 2:25 PM and found a three-story wood frame structure with smoke showing from the third floor. Residents in a neighboring house at 414 N Wall were evacuated as a precaution. As the fire progressed to the second floor a second alarm was called in. Due to low water pressure in the area, tankers were called in from JFD, Redings Mill FD and Carl Junction FD to set up shuttle operations to supply sufficient water to fight the fire. The fire was brought under control after approximately three hours and declared out at 7: 36 PM. Crews remained on scene 8:25 PM.
- The house was occupied and residents evacuated in time. The house was originally one large, single family dwelling but had been remodeled into a three-apartment dwelling. This made it hard for fire crews to find the source of the fire as well as prevented exterior operations from reaching the source, once found.
- There were no injuries to civilians or firefighting crews. The American Red Cross was called to assist the residents.
- The Fire Department responded with 7 apparatus and 20 personnel and was assisted by the Joplin Police Department, METS Ambulance Service, Redings Mill FD and Carl Junction FD.
- The cause of fire was rules as due to unattended cooking.
- For more information, contact the Joplin Fire Department at 623-0403 or 624-0820 ext. 1300.