The Joplin Police Department is a community-funded division of the City of Joplin. The citizens who fund this department have rightful expectations in regards to the services we provide. Our professionalism as a department is determined by the effectiveness of our officers in the execution of their assigned duties.
The purpose of the Office of Internal Affairs is to ensure that officers are held accountable to the citizens and visitors of Joplin. Accountability demands that we hold ourselves to the highest ethical standards as set forth in the law enforcement code of ethics, and ensures that when we fail in maintaining our integrity, consistent disciplinary action is taken.
The Office of Internal Affairs is under the direct supervision of the Chief of Police. With addition of the Joplin City Jail and the Dispatch Center in recent years, the Joplin Police Department has almost doubled in size in the number of personnel for which it is responsible. Due to this increase in size, both an Internal Affairs Sergeant and Corporal share the responsibility of the investigations they conduct.
The following is a breakdown of all complaints received by Internal Affairs for 2015:
- 60 complaints were received
- 21 complaints were generated by citizens
- 39 complaints were generated within the agency
- 36 complaints were sustained or partially sustained
- 24 complaints resulted in findings that were other than sustained
- JPD received an average of 1.75 citizen complaints per month
- JPD generated an average of 3.25 investigations per month from within the agency
The following is a breakdown of all complaints received by Internal Affairs for 2014:
- 55 complaints received
- 32 complaints generated by citizens
- 23 generated within the agency
- 28 sustained or partially sustained
- 27 resulted in findings that were other than sustained
The following is a breakdown of all complaints received by Internal Affairs for 2013:
- 67 complaints received
- 36 complaints generated by citizens
- 31 generated within the agency
- 29 sustained or partially sustained
- 38 resulted in findings that were other than sustained
As can be seen in the above numbers, our overall complaint volume decreased in 2014 by 18%. Complaints generated by citizens decreased by 11% and complaints generated within the agency were reduced by 25%.