Animals Running At Large

Report Loose Animals

To report a loose animal contact the Joplin City Health Department at 623-6122 during business hours of 8:00 am to 5:00 pm, Monday through Friday. On the weekends, from 8:30 am to 5:00 pm, call the non-emergency police line at 623-3131.

Control of Your Animals

Owners are required to keep their pets under proper restraint. Restraint may include a secure building, fenced area, secured by a chain or cable, on a leash at heel of a competent person, or in a secured manner in a vehicle. A dog may also be considered under restraint if on the owner’s property with the presence of the owner and is responsive to the owners’ commands.

Impounding/Redemption & Payment of Fees

Animals found to be at large may be impounded by the animal control officer and municipal citations issued. If convicted of this code violation, the owner can be fined up to $500. If you receive multiple convictions, you may be ordered to forfeit all animals for up to two years. If your animal is impounded, you will have to pay the impoundment fees at the Joplin Humane Society.

Protect Your Pet & Your City

Allowing a pet to roam free is not good for them or the community. While at large, they face many dangers such as traffic, disease, and attack from other animals. Problems associated with at large animals include property destruction, bites and attacks, and uncontrolled breeding which results in unwanted animal populations.