How to Obtain a Certificate
The Joplin Health Department offers same-day printing of certified copies of birth certificates for a person born in the state of Missouri after 1920. Certified copies of Missouri deaths after 1980 are also available from us. To obtain a birth/death certificate, you will need the following:
- Birth/Death Certificate Application - Download a form or complete in person at the health department office.
- Information needed for the application:
- Date of birth and/or death
- Father’s name, mother’s maiden name
- Full name of person named on certificate
- Place of birth/death (city and county)
- Purpose for the copies
- Your relationship to person named on certificate
- Cash, check or credit card (Mastercard or Visa) accepted. Checks must be payable to "Joplin Health Department."
- Birth certificates are $15 each
- Death certificates are $14 for the first copy and $11 for each additional copy
- A picture ID is required to obtain a certificate
Out of State Requests
If you reside in another state and need a Missouri birth or death certificate, please visit the Missouri Vital Records.
If you need a birth / death certificate from another state other than Missouri, the health department can give you a copy of that state’s application or you can access vital records of that state online.